Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Day of School!

My little babies started kindergarten this year. August 20th, 2009 was their first day of school. We were able to start them at Fire Ridge Elementary School. Jeremy and I are building a house in the Fire Ridge Development which is in Elkhorn School District. Right now we live in the Omaha Public School District. After writing an application letter, we were able to get "temporary non-resident status." We didn't want to start the kids at one school only to pull them out in the middle of the year and have to start all over at a new school in January. We are so excited for this year. They have great teachers; Avery has Mrs. Thompson (Mrs. T) and Aiden has Mrs. Devoe. They have lots of friends from church and pre-school in their classes; it's nice to see familiar faces.

Still half asleep...we have to get up pretty early to make it by 8:10.



Aiden was as cool as a cucumber. My even tempered little man. He always is in new situations. When it was time to go to classes he said goodbye and was on his way. No tears, no I'll miss you, nothing. After school I asked how his day was; he replied, "Great!" That is his standard reply every day I have since found out. Don't try to get details, it's excruciating.

Avery was NOT as okay with it all. She was very nervous and didn't want me to leave her. It's interesting, she'll try anything- with no fear...as long as someone is there with her. But, when it comes to going it alone, she's a bundle of nerves. I don't blame her, I wouldn't want to leave me either. So, I went with her into her class and when the principal got on the loud speaker and asked all parenting remaining in the building to leave, the tears began to well up in her eyes. I think I actually felt my heart break for her. I was told it would be easier for her if I just left, so I did. I was then the nervous wreck the rest of the day. After school, she said it was the best day ever. Exhale.

Making sure we have everything we need!
Arriving at school ready to go :-)






2 comments:

Laurie said...

ah, it is hard to leave mom that first day of school. but, I can vouch for the big smile on averys face after school! one happy girl. i'm glad they both love it. my avery loves it, too. fireridge is a great school...i am glad you guys are there.

Sheri said...

I can't get a word out of Bryce about what happens at school - I know he always runs out of time at lunch and he likes recess, other than that NOTHING! Must be a boy thing.