Monday, April 27, 2009

Soccer Game Saturdays

Spring is here and that means soccer games on Saturdays- why is it that no matter how nice the week is somehow it ends up being 40 degrees and drizzling when Saturday morning comes around? Notice the many layers the children are wearing- the day before it was 89. This season is especially fun because a bunch of us in the ward all have kids on the team. Our coach is Derek Neeley-yes, spelled the same as my first name. Now, ever since the Neeley's moved into our ward I've been convinced we were related. Our relatives stem from the same states, and my name is the maiden name of my grandmother. Now, I did absolutely nothing to substantiate this mind you. I thought about it often though. I even got out my family tree-maker CD on more than one occasion. Didn't do anything with it, but I got it out. So, my dad came to the kids' game and as I'm packing up afterwards, he met Derek and chatted for about a minute and a half. On the way to the car, I said-"We've got to find out how we are related to the Neeley's." To which he replied, "I just did." I look at him incredulously and he says, "You just have to know what questions to ask...It helps if you know your genealogy." Now those of you that know my father can picture this. How does one respond to that. Okay, Dad, you're right. You're the best, I'm the worst; you're right, I'm wrong; you're attractive, I'm not good looking...Billy Madison anyone? So, it turns out we have ancestors in common buried at the Mormon cemetery. Elizabeth Neeley was the first wife of (blanking on the first name) Mr. Neeley. This is the line my family follows. She died crossing the plains and he remarried shortly thereafter. Having many young children, he would have needed a wife to help raise the children and well, all men need a good wife. The second wife is the line that Derek Neeley and his family follow. I knew we were cousins- I just couldn't figure it out on my own...dang it.




2 comments:

Sheri said...

Lewis Neeley is the ancestor we have in common. Amazing - Derek didn't even mention this exchange to me. So cool. Horray - we have family in Omaha!!! I had to laugh at one of the pics - Bryce is wearing shorts, his dad's gloves, and a coat that is way too small for him. Can you tell I wasn't there to get him ready that morning?

Bridget said...

Your dad cracks me up. I can totally picture him saying those things! Thanks for teaching me about our family history. That's so cool you met some relatives!